• Text Resizer:
  • A
  • A
  • A

Home Rehabilitation Assistance

Home Home Rehabilitation Assistance

Update to older women's house

City of Waterloo

Residential Rehabilitation Forgivable Loan Program

The purpose of the Community Development Block Grant (CDBG) Housing Rehabilitation Program is to provide financial assistance to low and moderate income families for repair of their houses to make them decent, safe and sanitary.

The U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), through the Community Development Board, administers a program for financing the rehabilitation, improvements and repair of owner-occupied property.

Funds for housing rehabilitation under the Block Grant Program will be allocated by the Waterloo City Council on a year to year basis. Qualifying homeowners are able to receive a five year forgivable loan up to $35,000 for the rehabilitation of a single family dwelling.

The assistance is available through CDBG funds. Household income is limited to 80% of the area median income. For more information, please contact the City of Waterloo Department of Community Development at (319) 291-4429.

City of Cedar Falls

Housing Rehabilitation Grant Program

The City of Cedar Falls Housing Rehabilitation Program allows elderly persons and families with a limited income to upgrade their homes. The grant provides up to $20,000 to finance home improvements that involve making the property decent, safe and sanitary.

Emergency Repair Grant Program

The Emergency Repair Grant Program helps families in need of immediate repairs on their homes. These repairs include items that would be a hazard to the occupants’ health and safety. Items in dire need of repairs often include the correction of inadequate electrical wiring, furnace or roof repair, plumbing replacement, etc.

To apply for either grant program, contact the Developmental Services Department at (319) 273-8606.

USDA Rural Development

USDA Rural Development helps limited income owners of single family homes make needed repairs to improve or modernize their homes, make it safer or more sanitary or remove health and safety hazards.

Applications are made at the USDA Rural Development office serving the area where the home is located. A list of offices is available at the USDA website.

On-Site Waste Assistance Program (OSWAP)

The State Revolving Fund provides low-cost financing to help rural homeowners replace inadequate or failing septic systems.

More information can be found online, or you can contact the Iowa Department of Natural Resources at (515) 281-8263.


Iowa Northland Regional Council of governments (INRCOG) & The Iowa Northland Regional Housing Council (INRHC)

INRCOG and the INRHC both provide a wide variety of housing services including emergency repairs and owner-occupied rehabilitation for low to moderate income citizens in both the rural and incorporated areas of the following counties: Black Hawk (generally outside of the Cedar Falls/Waterloo metro area), Bremer, Buchanan, Butler, Chickasaw and Grundy. Most of the INRHC programs are grant funded and last for varying lengths of time.

To obtain information about current housing programs contact the Housing Department at (319) 235-0311 or visit the INRCOG website.

Back to Top